Metro Environmental Action ProgramFully self-funded, the Metro Environmental Action Program takes a three-step approach to reducing our environmental footprint and promoting sustainable manufacturing practices.
Step 1: Reducing carbon output
Our company has made numerous upgrades to our factory and processes with the goal of reducing carbon emissions.
Factory infrastructure improvements
- Considerable drop in utility usage
- 3-fold increase in output
- Drastic reduction in carton usage
- 15% increase in logistics efficiency
Step 2: Proactive Carbon Offsetting
As wholesalers of agricultural products, we believe it is our responsibility to offset the carbon we generate each year.
In 2011, in response to the UN Billion Tree program and Ontario 50 million Tree program, Metropolitan Tea planted 15,000 trees. 200 acres of abandoned farmland was purchased, and 7 species were planted.
- Metropolitan Tea achieved carbon neutral status in 2011
Additionally, 80 acres of historic wetlands were set aside for protection. This land is home to beavers, endangered spotted turtles, black terns, and countless other birds and amphibians.
Old growth forest preservation
Finally, 80 acres of old growth forest were preserved. Each acre absorbs roughly 30,000 lbs / 13607.771 kg of carbon / year. The forest is home to foxes, deer, porcupines, bears, and more.
• 2,400,000 lbs / 1088621.688 kg of carbon offset each year
Step 3: Active Carbon Avoidance
In 2011 Metropolitan Tea installed 2,600 solar array panels atop its tea manufacturing facility. At the time of installation, it was one of Ontario, Canada’s largest privately owned solar arrays.
Our solar array generates 5x the amount of energy consumed by our factory:
• Approximately 800,000 – 1,000,000 Kwh are generated each year
• In relation, an average house hold in Canada uses 11,900 Kwh per year (meaning on average we are producing enough power for 70 homes)
• There is some variance depending on sunlight levels over the course of the year
Solar electricity also helps us avoid substantial emissions each year (recent data):
• Carbon: 1,160,000 lbs / 526167.1492 kg
• SO2: 4000 lbs / 1814 kg
• NOx: 1600 lbs / 726 kg
• In 2012 Metropolitan Tea earned a Sustainability Award from the Toronto Board of Trade
• Our company became one of the world’s first tea blenders and packers to achieve carbon negative status